Pumpkin rolls are one of our all-time favorite recipes! We love pairing it with black coffee for a delicious start to the day.
PUMPKIN CAKE INGREDIENTS:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2-3 teaspoons pumpkin spice mix to preference
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup Farmers Market pumpkin puree
- optional: powdered sugar to sprinkle on at the end
CREAM CHEESE FILLING INGREDIENTS:
- 1 8 ounce brick cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
TO MAKE THE PUMPKIN ROLL:
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt in a large mixing bowl until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and granulated sugar for 1 minute until thick. Add in the vanilla and pumpkin, and whisk until just combined. Fold in the flour mixture with a rubber spatula, and stir together until just combined. Line a 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper, leaving an extra 1-inch of parchment sticking up on both 15-inch sides of the pan so that you can easily lift the cake out after baking. (If you’d like the parchment to stick to the bottom of the pan more easily, sprinkle a little bit of water on the pan and then press the parchment paper on top of it. You can also lightly mist the top of the parchment paper with cooking spray for easier cake release afterwards, although it’s not required.) Spread the batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until top of cake springs back when touched. Carefully lift the parchment paper and cake out onto a flat (and heat-safe) surface. Then slowly, use your hands to roll the cake — rolling from the short end to the short end — until it is completely rolled up. Transfer the cake roll to a wire rack, and cool until it reaches room temperature. While the cake is cooling, make the cream cheese filling (see below). Once the cake has reached room temperature, transfer the cake roll to a flat surface, and carefully unroll it until it is flat again (or mostly flat, it’s ok if the ends curl up a bit). Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over cake, leaving a 3/4-inch border on all sides. Then carefully re-roll the cake, gently peeling away the parchment paper as you roll until you can completely remove and discard it. Tightly wrap the pumpkin roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.
TO MAKE THE CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- Mix together cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until smooth. If the filling is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add a half teaspoon or two of water. (You want a medium consistency so that the filling is easy to spread, but not too warm or thin that it will ooze out of the cake when you’re rolling it up.)
- Remove the pumpkin roll from the refrigerator, unwrap it and transfer it to your serving dish. Lightly dust the pumpkin roll on all sides with powdered sugar, if you would like. Then slice and serve. If you have leftovers, just re-wrap the pumpkin roll in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.