Cranberry Orange Babka
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
- 2 1/4 teaspoons 1 package instant yeast
- 1/3 cup lukewarm milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 teaspoons orange zest divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 can Farmers Market Organic Cranberry Sauce
- Egg wash
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment add the yeast & water. Let stand for 5 minutes to allow the yeast to activate.
- Add the sugar, eggs, salt, 1 teaspoon orange zest & cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Slowly add the flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough comes together.
- Knead the dough for 8 to 10 minutes, adding the butter in small pieces. Scrape down the edges of the bowl as needed.
- When a smooth dough is formed, shape into a ball & let rest until doubled in size, about 2 hours. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before rolling out.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out dough to roughly a 12 by 20 inch rectangle.
- In a small mixing bowl stir together cranberry sauce & remaining lemon zest. For a sweeter filling add sugar to taste. Spread cranberry sauce evenly over the dough leaving a 1/2 inch border. Tightly roll dough starting from the short side.
- Slice the dough in half lengthwise to expose the filling. Tightly twist together the two strands of dough & tuck under the edges.
- Transfer to a butter loaf pan, cover & let rise for an additional 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350(f) degrees.
- Brush the top of the loaf with egg wash & bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until cooked throughout. Let cool slightly before removing from pan & slicing.