The creamy texture of butternut squash paired with the rich blend of spices and cashews makes the perfect “cheese” sauce.
Vegan Butternut Mac N Cheese
- 1 can Farmer’s Market Butternut Squash
- 1 lb. macaroni noodles
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 Tbsp. reserved cooking liquid
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup raw cashews soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/8 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp. turmeric
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat and salt liberally. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 2-3 Tbsp. of the cooking liquid, and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Sauté the onions and garlic for two minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the onion mixture to a blender along with the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth. Return to the pan and bring to a simmer. Cook for five minutes. Off heat, add the macaroni and toss to coat. Garnish with fresh, chopped parsley.