Butternutscotch Custard with Fresh Whipped Cream
This recipe yields the most beautiful pudding-like custard with a wonderful balance of butternut squash and butterscotch. Topped with a bit of fresh caramel sauce and fluffy whipped cream, this simple dessert will stun, any day of the week.
- 1/2 C Farmers Market Foods Butternut Squash
- 1 1/2 C Whole Milk
- 1 C Heavy Cream
- 3 lg Egg Yolks
- 2 T Cornstarch
- 3/4 C Dark Brown Sugar
- 3 T Water
- 1/2 t Kosher Salt
- 3 T Unsalted Butter room temp
- 1 t Vanilla Extract
- 1 C Caramel Sauce
- 2 C Heavy Cream
- 1/4 C Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 t Vanilla Extract
- In a blender, combine the butternut squash, milk, and cream. Pulse to combine, and blend for 30-45 seconds. Reserve for later use.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and corn starch, reserve.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, whisk together the sugar, water, and salt, and place over medium heat on the stove. Without stirring further cook the sugar mixture for 5 minutes. Slowly add the milk and cream mixture to the sugar, whisking constantly. Do the slowly as the mixture will pop and bubble as you do this. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Drip by drip, drizzle in 1/2 a cup of the boiling mixture into the whisked egg yolks and cornstarch. Whisking constantly so the eggs don’t scramble, this is a temper of the eggs. Reduce the heat on the milk mixture to low and whisk in the eggs. Continue whisking for 1 minute as the mixture becomes thick. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into the serving glasses or bowls. Fill 6, 6oz bowls halfway and cover tightly with plastic wrap touching the top of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for 4-6 hours, or overnight until chilled and thickened.
- Make the whipped cream by beating the heavy cream and powdered sugar together until thick and creamy, fold in the vanilla.
- To serve, top each bowl with a couple of tablespoons of caramel sauce and a dollop of whipped cream.
This recipe was created for Farmer's Market by Kendell Stiles of Kendell Kreations.