Savory Pumpkin Spoon Bread
Have you ever heard of spoon bread? It’s a delightfully delicious cross between grits and cornbread. This savory culinary creation is the perfect side dish for holiday feasts or any special night.
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup Farmer's Market pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs separated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh chives chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Bring butter, salt and milk to a simmer in a large saucepan. Reduce heat and gradually mix in the cornmeal. Simmer while stirring until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add the pumpkin to the mixture. Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks, chives, thyme, cayenne pepper, ginger and nutmeg together in a large bowl. Whisk in the cornmeal mixture and set aside. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites using an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Whisk 1/4 of the egg whites into the cornmeal mixture. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites. Pour the batter into a loaf pan. Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until the bread starts to pull away from the pan. Serve warm.